- 12 people
- Meal course
Sweet potatoes are delicious whichever way you make them. But if you add them in curry, the flavors can be so savory and wonderful that you won’t be able to contain the excitement to share the recipe with all your friends and family. Let us show you how to make this creative and yummy sweet potato curry dish!
Our sweet potato curry recipe serves 12.
- To make sweet potato curry, you will have to start by pulsing the ginger, garlic and lemongrass in your food processor. Continue pulsing until all are chopped very finely.
- Now, take a heavy-bottomed pot and heat oil in it on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the lemongrass mix you just prepared and stir. Cook for around 5 minutes or until you see the mixture turning golden brown. Don’t forget to stir at regular intervals. Season the cooked lemongrass with kosher salt.
- Add the tomato and red curry paste; cook until the mixture turns dark, which would take around 3 minutes. Frequent stirring is a must.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes and continue cooking until the mixture thickens. This would take around 5 minutes. Put in the coconut milk, add some more salt and wait for the mixture to start boiling. Now, reduce the heat; simmer the mixture for 20 to 25 minutes. Don’t forget to stir after every 4 to 5 minutes.
- Put the carrots and sweet potatoes in, pour enough water to cover the ingredients in the pot and cover the pot partially. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes i.e. until the carrots become tender. Now, add the shallots and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes; this would turn both the sweet potatoes and shallots tender.
- If you want the dish to be slightly hot, add some red chili. Finally, put in the lime juice. Your sweet potato curry is ready. Garnish it with cilantro, basil and scallion before serving.
- This dish tastes best when served with steamed rice; chef’s recommendation is steamed jasmine rice. Happy eating!